Okay, before I go off on a long self-pitying whine about why my life sucks today, here is the pumpkin cookie recipe that I've gotten some requests for:
4 cups unsifted flour
2 cups quick or old fashioned oats, uncooked
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups butter or margarine, softened
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
1 cup real semi-sweet chocolate chips (can substitute raisins)
assorted icings or peanut butter
assorted candies, raisins or nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. Cream butter; gradually add sugars, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Alternate additions of dry ingredients and pumpkin, mixing well after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips. For each cookie, drop ¼ cup dough onto lightly greased cookie sheet- you can use more dough to form a stem. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (until cookies are firm and lightly brown). Remove from cookie sheets; cool on racks. Decorate using icing or peanut butter to affix assorted candies, raisins, or nuts. Yield: about 32 large cookies. **I find that 1/4 cup of dough makes a huge cookie that is too big to eat, and i like to eat. i try to use more like an 1/8.
These are the halloween cookies of my childhood, and I still love em today. When I have put faces on mine, I'll post a pic.
Why my life sucks today:
1) Tried to make some of the recipes for my "menacing menu" for our annual halloween bash this weekend. I need pineapple preserves for one of them, and can't find them anywhere. (Anyone have a suggestion?) Also, substituted semisweet chocolate for almond bark in one recipe, and while it tastes delicious, it looks really gross. So I have to start again.
2) Fell down the stairs. Caught myself before splitting open my skull, yea! When I grabbed the banister to keep from falling, something in my wrist popped and now hurts like hell.
3) Dropped the kids off at their overpriced daycare. Went to pay bill,and noticed it was $200 more this month than last month. WTF?? Tuition only goes up in August. We had this problem last month- bill was $200 higher than pervious month. Due to error on their part that their accountant "couldn't identify". This woman is as qualified to be the school accountant as Harriet Meirs is to serve on the Supreme Court... This month, she's telling me that the amount she told me during last month's phone call was wrong. She's trying to make it my fault, too- but when the accountant tells me what to pay, that's what I pay. So it turns out she told me the wrong amount (under by $100) last month, so this month we owe that extra $100 from last month, plus the new extra $100- that she claims is not extra because it was always there, she just added wrong. the best part? the past due amount on the current bill says $0.00. So how was I supposed to know anything was past due? Ah, yes, my psychic powers! I am ready to storm her office and sit there until she can figure out why she keeps screwing up MY bill. We are one of the poorest families at the school- kids on partial scholarship and everything. Some of the families there actually have nannies AND pay for daycare. I struggle to pay a sitter every now and then to see my hubby.
Okay, I'm done. Let's try to accentuate some positive, maybe that will make me feel better.
1) Stash Sunday is really taking off! Lots of people are opening their stashes and sharing cool things- very very cool!
2) I started another Flickr group that's getting some good action, all about all our UFOs. Have a UFO languishing? Share it here.
3) My house looks awewsome for halloween! We went all out this year. Bodies in the yard, eyeballs on the walk, skeletons and witches to greet people, bats, spiders, and other spooky stuff inside, and of course, the meancing menu for the party! And tonight, The Hubby is going to use this stencil to carve my pumpkin into an Elvis Pumpkin.
4) My Stitch-It Kit came in the mail yesterday.
5) I bought a great new necklace.
6) I have a new bible for decorating. Tonya, it may interest you especially since once upon a time you asked me what I do with my thrift store treasrues. I plan to make my guestroom into Graceland, and my kitchen is now officially known as a Kitschen.
7) Took the best picture ever of Princess Girl!
8) We have a "buddy system" at work where everyone gets paired off, and you and your buddy just make sure to be extra nice to one another. On Monday, my buddy treated me to a Halloween candy feast by decorating my desk with stickers and yummies and a pretty candle. (If I worked in a different place, I would find the buddy thing to be super lame, but it actually does seem to be a good teambuilding thing here!)
Okay, I'm off to attempt to cheer myself up. And to find $200 extra for the daycare bill (gee, I wouldn't have bought that cool new necklace if I knew about the $200!!)